Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Eyelids

If you really knew me, you know that I don’t want to be like my sisters
one has a heart of stone and the other has one of paper
you’d know that I don’t want to be like my brothers
one thinks he is the smartest person alive and the other isn’t alive
If you knew me you’d know that one day I’ll go to OUTER SPACE 
and I don’t care how many times my mom tells me a science degree isn’t worth anything because that’s my dream
If you really knew me you’d know that I never wear earrings and a necklace at the same time, only because I’m OCD
you’d know that I hate wearing my hair in a ponytail 
you’d know that I have a green parrot with orange hair and a white face 
you’d know that every morning he sits on my shoulder while I get ready and 
every morning I let him drink my orange juice because he loves orange juice
But even if you knew me, you wouldn’t know this 
that my heart has learned the hard way that sometimes the only way to be safe in this world is to just close your eyes. 
you wouldn’t know about that night, in a basement with white walls where my hands and feet and mouth couldn’t fight
you wouldn’t know that in most ways I failed that night, 
but in one small way I succeeded
I didn’t open my eyes
so at least I didn’t have to see
at least I could close my eyes and block everything out
yeah, even if you really knew me you wouldn’t know that somedays that doesn’t feel like enough
but most days it does
If I really knew you I would tell you to protect your eyes 
because what you see is the only thing that can keep reappearing in your head
and your eyes don’t heal
I would tell you to go ahead and trust people with your heart
but never with your eyes
I don’t really know you, I don’t know what your eyes have seen
but i know that you have had moments where all you can do is close them tight
and even though I don’t really know you
I’m so proud that you did

No comments:

Post a Comment